Mrs. Ejenawho F. Diba Utulu
According to oxford advanced learners dictionary, habit is a thing that you do often and almost without thinking.
What is a reading habit?
Reading habit simply put is cultivating an attitude towards reading or forming a reading culture that has become part of you.
Why do you need to form a reading habit?
Forming a reading habit may take effort and practice to get into but when formed becomes difficult to break. Therefore when you form a reading habit now it becomes difficult to break and the benefits will be worth it.
How to form a reading habit?
- Setting a time period: Start by setting time during the day every day to read may be 5-10 minutes for a start. E.g. make a habit of reading while eating (breakfast, lunch and dinner) 5 minutes each or reading every time you are seating, before bedtime, this can at least give you 15-20 minutes a day.
- Carry a book always: Always carry a book everywhere you go. As you wait for an appointment, until you are called upon. E.g. a hospital appointment or while on a journey.
- Make a list: Keeping a list of all the great books you have read, it will motivate you to read more to increase your list.
- Find a quiet place: Find a place in your home that is quiet and seat in a comfortable chair. No TV, computer, radio or music near your reading place to avoid distraction or noise from family members.
- Make it pleasurable: Make your reading time your favorite time of the day with some treat. Get into a comfortable chair, good lighting, blanket for cold or mosquito. Your dressing should be comfortable also.
- Reduce TV/internet surfing: To be able to read more, you must cut down on TV viewing, internet surfing. It may be difficult for a youth but every minute you reduce create more hours for reading. No doubt about the fact that we can learn from this technological gadgets but it calls for decipline.at your reading time, it becomes better to use the dictionary to check words than to use the internet.
- Set a high goal: Setting goals like reading 10 books in a month or I have to read my school books 2 in a day and try to accomplish it would be a good idea, don’t rush but try to read and understand what you are reading. Setting the goal of doing your home works immediately as you are given can lead to a reading habit.
- Having a reading time within the day: Set a time for yourself to read every day. It has to be something every day before bedtime or early in the morning every day or before getting ready for school. You should know your best time to read.
The society we live in today is not getting better but rather it is decaying every day. There is a saying that says ‘habit formed is difficult to break’ so forming a good reading habit can be difficult to cultivate because of the so many distraction present today. Some of those distractions include the following;
- Cell phones: With the prevalence and advancement of technology, a hand held device like the cell phones, iPad, iPod, tabs and other electronic devices come with internet access that is open to the web. In the world we live today, almost everybody has a cell phone with or without internet access. Before the only distraction gotten from a phone was sending of text message and midnight calls that deprived you from your much needed sleep at night but now adolescent/youth are faced with distractions from the internet such as WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Yahoo mail, even the Google that is a haven for informations has become a distraction for many. The web site which are a collections of electronic papers created and maintained by individuals, have millions of sites that provided youth with endless opportunity to shop, do research, connect with friends and play or download games, movies and music has been exploited by all manner of unscrupulous individuals, some sites feature explicit sex that could lead the unwary astray, some youths have unintentionally encountered pornography online while doing their homework’s. This is not to say that the internet isn’t a good thing, it’s just that a little bit of moderation is needed to not make surfing the internet a distraction from your books.
- Electronic games and movies: These can help sharpen your reflexes and can improve your visual attentions. It can also enhance your math and reading skills and there are high-tech entertainments that can challenge your skills and help keep the boredom at bay. This may be exciting and cool but not all are harmless, some blatantly promote immorality, profanity, violence, gratifying occult practices, gang wars, drug use, explicit sexual content, foul languages etc. When choosing a game to play or a movie to watch, it is important to choose one that will be interactive and educational and also wouldn’t serve as a distraction from your books.
- Drug Abuse: The use of drugs is a problem to the society today, some students resort to drugs to keep awake during exams time because they did not have a reading habit. This is bad and can lead to other health hazard.
The point are not exhaustive in this write-up but if the above is followed by all students seated here, I believe you will all make a good student.
GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL MY STUDENTS.